Fall is coming! As the days grow shorter and temperatures start to drop, a new fireplace, stove, or insert may be something you’re considering. A new heating appliance can provide your home with much-needed warmth and comfort during this colder time of year, and many use them to lower their energy bills too.
Problem is… with so many different options on the market, it can be difficult to know which one is right for your space and lifestyle.
Fireplaces, fireplace inserts, and stoves all have their own unique benefits. And knowing the good and bad of each system can help you make an informed decision. We’ve got the lowdown on it all.
Fireplaces: Pros & Cons
Fireplaces are a centerpiece in many homes. They provide a gathering place for family and friends, offer a source of warmth, and do a lot to improve the ambiance of the space.
That said, when choosing a fireplace, it is important to consider both the size of the space and the best fuel for your needs. At Integrity Chimney Service, we sell and install a wide range of fireplaces, including gas, pellet, wood-burning, and electric. Whatever you’re interested in, we’re certain we can help.
- A fireplace creates a cozy ambiance that’s perfect for entertaining guests.
- A fireplace can add value to your home, making it more desirable if you ever decide to sell.
- Fireplaces are known for creating a more classic and traditional ambiance.
- A fireplace can supplement your furnace, leading to lower energy bills.
- Some systems come with features, like blowers and thermostats, that can regulate the temperature of your home and further improve efficiency.
- A fireplace typically requires more maintenance on the part of the homeowner than alternative heating options.
- If you have young children or pets, you’ll need to take extra precautions to prevent them from getting too close to the fire.
- Of all the heating options, fireplaces tend to be the least efficient – and don’t typically deliver as well on heat.
- Fireplaces can be drafty, allowing heat to escape through the chimney.
Fireplace Inserts: Pros & Cons
A fireplace insert is a system that is inserted into an existing fireplace. Fireplace inserts come in a variety of sizes, styles, and fuel types, allowing buyers to easily find one that fits their needs and budget.
Here at Integrity Chimney Service, we suggest using a fireplace insert if you’re transitioning between fuel types or if you want to increase the efficiency of your fireplace.
- Fireplace inserts are better at trapping and transferring heat, making them more efficient than traditional fireplaces.
- They provide a source of supplemental heat, which can help you lower your energy bills.
- Fireplace inserts are environmentally friendly because they emit fewer pollutants than traditional fireplaces.
- You may need to modify your fireplace or your chimney liner to accommodate the insert – which can be time-consuming and expensive.
- They may not deliver as well when it comes to obtaining a more traditional aesthetic.
Stoves: Pros & Cons
Stoves are another great option for heating and have become popular options for heating both homes and commercial spaces. Wood-burning stoves are the most common type, but when you work with us, you can choose from a wide variety of fuel types, including gas, pellet, and electric.
- Stoves are much more efficient than fireplaces, providing a warm and comfortable space without using a lot of energy.
- There are many stylish designs on the market, as well as a variety of finishes to match any home decor.
- Stoves come with heat-resistant glass to screen the fire, thus improving safety.
- You can control the output of a stove, making it easy to regulate the temperature of your home.
- They have more flexible placement options.
- They don’t offer that classic and timeless ambiance that fireplaces (and even inserts) are known to create.
- The outside surface of the stove can get extremely hot, posing a serious fire hazard if anything is leaned against it while in use. Animals and small children may be at risk of brushing against it, as well.
Give Us a Call
It’s not too late to invest in a new fireplace, stove, or insert for fall. The team at Integrity Chimney Service team is happy to answer any questions you may have, as well as help you out with all of your installation and maintenance needs.
Call us at 570-221-4113 or reach out to us through our site to learn more.